TARUMANAGARA AND ITS HISTORY
The Tarumanagara Foundation was established on June 18th 1959. The first to be established was the Department of Economics, a forerunner of the Tarumanagara University (UNTAR).
Next was the establishment of Vocational Schools of Architecture on October 1st, 1962. This school was originally named the Architecture Engineering Program in the Faculty of Engineering. It is now known as one of the oldest Architectural Engineering Programs in Indonesia. The next Departments to be established were the Faculty of Economics, the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Engineering, the Faculty of Architecture and the Faculty of English. These faculties were the pillars of forming UNTAR.
In line with the Foundation’s commitment that Tarumanagara is engaged in education and health, we also established the Faculty of Medicine on October 1st, 1965.
In 1966, the political turmoil related to G-30-S / PKI disrupted the education process hence the Faculty of English was forced to shut down and students were transferred to the FIB at the University of Indonesia.
In 1967, UNTAR began to revive. It was also during this time that UNTAR used the Jalan S. Parman’s campus after conducting a prestigious opening ceremony. The inauguration was attended by the Vice Governor of Jakarta, Dr. R. Soewondo, who later in 1974, served as Chairman of the Tarumanagara Foundation.
In the following years, our Post Graduate Program opened on October 1st, 1992. In 1994, UNTAR opened the Faculty of Visual Arts & Design and the Faculty of Psychology. The Faculty of Information Technology was later established in 2002 and in 2006, the Faculty of Communication Sciences was created.
In 2007, we held an inauguration of the Main Building (632 square meters). In 2009, we opened the Tarumanagara Knowledge Center (TKC) Executive Lounge. In 2013, we celebrated the grand opening of the Master Program in Architecture.