The idea to establish a university was first created in 1957 by a group of social workers in the Candra Naya’s Social Association, called Sin Ming Hui. Based on the initiative of Drs. Kwee Hwat Djien, the group agreed to create a foundation named Tarumanagara on June 18th, 1959. The Tarumanagara formation was confirmed through notaries deed E. Pondang No. 54 on September 11th, 1959.
The name Tarumanagara was taken from one of the kingdoms in the land of Sunda a long time ago. The Tarumanagara kingdom reached it’s prime in the 6th century, while under the rulership of King Purnawarman. This kingdom left behind some inscriptions spread across parts of West Java and Jakarta. One of the more well-known inscriptions can be found in Bogor, located at the point where the Ciaruteun river and the Cisadane river meet.